When we are unable to take ears off the song, when the voice drenches our heart, when we feel the pain that she portrays through her song, when we know that our moods have a boon companion and the sound that is our confidante, we know she is none other than the legend Lata Mangeshkar herself. We wish her a very happy birthday.
The queen of melody Lata Mangeshkar was born on 28 September 1929, in Indore, Madhya Pradesh to Pandit Deenanath Mangeshkar and Shevanti who was later renamed Sudhamati. Lata Mangeshkar took her first lesson from her father at the age of five. At the age of 13, her father died and then the Mangeshkar family was taken care by Master Vinayak, a family friend and the owner of Navyug Chitrapit movie company. He helped Lata Mangeshkar to make her career as a singer and actress.
- Lata Mangeshkar’s first Hindi song was “Mata Ek Sapoot Ki Duniya Badal De Tu” for the Marathi film Gajaabhaau in 1943. And there was no looking back from there.
- Asha Bhosle, a legendary singer herself is the younger sister to Lata Mangeshkar.
- Lata Mangeshkar has sung in over thirty-six regional Indian and foreign languages.
- Lata Mangeshkar was awarded the Bharat Ratna, highest India civilian award in 2001.
- Padma Bhushan in 1969, Padma Vibhushan 1999 and Dada Saheb Phalke award in 1989 are some of the honours that she has won in her singing journey.
- The legend Lata Mangeshkar has also produced four films. Vaadal, a Marathi language movie – 1953, Jhaanjhar – 1953, Kanchan – 1955, Lekin – 1990.
- In 1974, there had been a controversy for Guinness book of world records to list Lata Mangeshkar as the singer who has recorded not less than 25,000 solo, duet, and chorus-backed songs in 20 Indian languages between 1948 to 1974. However, Lata Ji dismissed all the rumors by stating that she had never kept an official record of the number songs recorded by her and how she did not know from where did the editors of Guinness Book of World Records get this information.
In India, everyone who proposes to become a singer one day or the other has always taken Lata Mangeshkar as their Idol. What an inspiration she is to youths in India and overseas. It is because of Lata Mangeshkar that many singers have chosen their career as singers and vowed to sing for their lives. We have sung “Dil to Pagal Hai,” and we have danced to “Didi Tera Devar Deewana.” “Pyar Kia to Darna Kya” is a voice and pet phrase among the youth of all times. Who else could have been there to captivate our souls but the saga herself, Lata Mangeshkar? Out of the many thousand songs she has moulded with her beautiful voice, you just need to choose one to start your day with.
Let us wish the nightingale who made us fly with her songs. We wish her a life full of joy and happiness on her birthday. Happy Birthday, Lata Ji!